DreamLife Northwest RV Rental Q&A

How to make reservation:
1, Find your rental equipment, choose your date, Send Request from our website ( First time customer will be asked to register.
   return customer just type in your email address and password, system will pull out your information .
2, DreamLife Northwest will quote you with  availability and price.
3, You Make Payment from DreamLife Northwest website or call for pay by phone.
4, DreamLife Northwest will confirm your reservation. You will receive a confirmation email with your reservation detail.

What kind of motorhomes can we rent?
We offer C type 31’ Motorhome and 19' Travel Trailer.

What are your office hours?
DreamLife Northwest rental is opening 7 days a week from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m for  scheduled appointment only. The phone reservation center is open Monday through Friday  from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m (PST).

What documents do I need to bring?
Current drivers license. Any  additional drivers to be added on the contract must have their current drivers  license as well and must be present at pickup.  A major credit card with sufficient available  credit.

How do I pay for the rental?
DreamLife Northwest requires that all payment be done with a major credit  card or Cash. We only accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover Card. For a payment method  to qualify for rental it MUST bear an imprint of the customer’s name that  matches the driver’s license and be a valid credit card or debit card with a  Visa or MasterCard logo. The cardholder must also be present and listed on the  contract as the primary renter or additional authorized driver. Security Deposit $500 has to be paid by a Credit card.

Does DreamLife Northwest offer specials during the year. What specials do  you have?
For information on all of the specials DreamLife Northwest is currently  offering, please check out our web site www.dreamlifenorthwest.com.

Are there any coverage’s provided with the rental?

For Motor-Home:
We provide comprehensive and collision insurance covering damage to the  Vehicle with a deductible per occurrence, for which deductible you are  responsible. We also provide primary auto liability insurance that covers  bodily injury and property damage with limits no higher than the minimum  amounts stated in the financial responsibility insurance laws of the state  whose laws apply to the loss. Our insurance includes PIP or medical payments.  Medical Payments are limited to $2,000 or the minimum amount required by the  law of the state whose laws apply to the loss—whichever is higher. Our  insurance also includes no-fault, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage  up to the minimum amounts required by the laws of the state whose laws apply to  the loss. Coverage is void if you violate the terms of our Rental Agreement, or if  you fail to cooperate in any loss investigation conducted by us or our insurer.  Giving the Vehicle to an unauthorized driver terminates our insurance coverage.  You are responsible for all damage to the Vehicle and damage or injury you  cause to third parties that is not covered by our insurance policies or that is  in excess of our insurance limits.

State Limits

State Liability Limits
Alabama 25/50/25
Alaska 50/100/25
Arizona 15/30/10
Arkansas 25/50/25
California 15/30/5
Colorado 25/50/15
Connecticut 20/40/10
Delaware 15/30/10
Florida 10/20/10
Georgia 25/50/25
Hawaii 20/40/10
Idaho 25/50/15
Illinois 50/100/50
Indiana 25/50/10
Iowa 20/40/15
Kansas 25/50/10
Kentucky 25/50/10
Louisiana 15/30/25
Maine 50/100/25
Maryland 30/60/15
Michigan 20/40/10
Minnesota 30/60/10
Mississippi 25/50/25
Missouri 25/50/10
Montana 25/50/10
Nebraska 25/50/25
Nevada 15/30/10
New Hampshire 25/50/25
New Jersey 15/30/5
New Mexico 25/50/10
New York 25/50/10
North Carolina 30/60/25
North Dakota 25/50/25
Ohio 12.5/25/7.5
Oklahoma 25/50/25
Oregon 25/50/20
Pennsylvania 15/30/5
Rhode Island 25/50/25
South Carolina 25/50/25
South Dakota 25/50/25
Tennessee 25/50/15
Texas 30/60/25
Utah 25/65/15
Vermont 50/100/10
Virginia 25/50/20
Washington 25/50/10
West Virginia 20/40/10
Wisconsin 25/50/10
Wyoming 25/50/20
  How to read the State Limits ?
  The maximum that the insurance company will pay as the result of a third party liability claim.
  Oregon 25/50/20

 What is the cost of mileage?
   Extra miles will be charged at 50¢ per mile. At the  end of the rental you will be charged at the rate of 50¢ for each additional miles  in excess of the contracted free mileages.

Is there a charge for the generator?
  Yes. The generator charge is $3.50 per hour as determined by an installed  running time meter. You can save on this expense by staying in locations that  have electrical hookups and not leaving the generator running when you are not  in the vehicle. A generator is only needed for the coach air conditioner,  microwave and electrical outlets. A generator is not necessary for normal vehicle  operation and is subject to frequent service interruption.

What deposits are required?
  At reservation, a $300 Non-refundable deposit  is charged to your credit  card ( $500 for each week rental ). This deposit will be applied toward your rental charges. A security deposit of $500 will be charged at check-out by a credit card only. The rental charges are payable at departure  by credit card or Cash.

Besides the rental cost are there any other charges I will incur?
  There is no tax on the rental charges. The generator  fee is $3.50 per hour and will be collected upon return of the rental. Customer  agrees that he/She will return unit in the same condition as he/She received it  (excluding normal wear). A minimum $50 fee will be charged if the interior or exterior of  the vehicle has not been cleaned. Damages or loss of equipment will be paid for  by the renter. Holding tank must be emptied prior to return of the vehicle or  be subject to an additional dump charge of $50 for each holding Tank.

Do I need a special driver’s license to drive a motorhome?
  All you need is to be 25 years of age or older and possess a valid driver’s  license and a major credit card. No special endorsement is needed. Temporary  licenses are not accepted.

When can I pick up or return the motorhome?
  Vehicle departure and return time will be scheduled at reservation, and is  normally between 7:00 AM and 7:00 PM. Pick-ups or Returns later than scheduled  time will be subject to a late return fee.

What if I return the vehicle before the date it is due?
  No refunds will be made for early returns or late pick-ups.
  Contact us with your schedule change.

Can I make a change to a reservation?
    You can  change the date of  your rental equipment one time for $50 from that which was  originally scheduled if available and only if done 14 days or more in  advance. However the original quoted rate must be the same or more than  what equipment or amount of days you are changing to; otherwise the  original  amount must be honored even if the equipment or amount of days you are changing  to is less.

What if I have to cancel my reservation?

 If  you cancel your reservation 14 days or more in advance,  we will keep the deposit credit for your future use deduct $100 fee. Cancel less than 14 days to the pick-up date will forfeit your non-refundable reservation deposit. 

Is it difficult to drive a motorhome?
  Motorhomes handle much like a car, especially our motorhomes are all the “C”  Class which has a van chassis.


Does the motorhome come equipped with pots and pans?
  Yes, Complimentary cookware included.
   All items must be returned clean at  end of trip.

For Travel Trailer:

Under the trailer insurance program, our insurance provides comprehensive, collision, and conversion coverage. Once a renter has been approved by Dreamlife Northwest to rent the trailer and the rental agreement has been properly filled out, the renter is automatically covered for comprehensive and collision coverage on the trailer.

* Renters need to provide the rental dealer with proof of liability insurance on the tow vehicle. The liability coverage must extend back to the rented trailer. MBA has a simple form to assist dealers in verifying this coverage with the renter’s insurance company.

Does the motorhome and Trailer come with a TV?

Are hoses and cords included in the rental?
Yes. We  include a sewer "dump hose" for your use to dump the holding tank  when it is full. We also include a freshwater hose to hookup to water or to  refill the freshwater tank. We also provide a "park adapter" which  will convert the 30 AMP RV cord into a 15A residential style plug. This adapter is  what you need to use if you take the motorhome home and want to plug it in to  your home electricity. A helpful idea if you are considering parking the  motorhome at a residence while on your trip is to bring an electrical extension  cord to reach their service. The motorhome has a 25 foot shore power cord for  your convenience.

What is gas mileage like for motor homes?
Mileage is  very dependant on the driving conditions involved. Is the road in the mountains,  or on the freeway? Is it raining or windy? How many people are in the vehicle?  As a general rule we tell people that the Class C units get around 8-9 miles per  gallon on the freeway and 6-7 miles per gallon in the mountains. From there  factor in weather, number of people and speed. The Class C units all have a 55  gallon gas tank so your range on a tank is around 450-500 miles.

What are the seat belt requirements?
Motorhomes are treated same as motor vehicle. Check the State Law where you drive.

In Oregon, you have to follow:

ADULT BELT LAW: Oregon law requires that all motor vehicle operators and passengers be properly   secured with a safety belt or safety harness, unless all safety-belt equipped   seating positions are occupied by other persons. This applies to passenger cars,   pick up trucks, motorhomes, and fee-based people transport carrying fifteen or   fewer persons. Limited exemptions are allowed under ORS 811.215. Vehicle owners   are required to maintain belt systems in working order.

CHILD RESTRAINT LAW: Child passengers must be restrained in approved child safety seats until they   weigh forty pounds or reach the upper weight limit for the car seat in use.   Infants must ride rear-facing until they reach both one year of age AND twenty   pounds.

BOOSTER SEAT LAW: Children over forty pounds or who have reached the upper weight limit for their   forward-facing car seat must use boosters to 4'9" tall or age eight and the adult   belt fits correctly.

Do your units come stocked with anything?
come with 4 pillows; 4 pillow cases; 2 comfort; 2 sheets. 4 Glasses; 4 plates; 4 saucers; 4 sets of silver, pot and pan

Do I have to return the motorhome with the gray and black water tanks  empty?
Yes. If you are unable to do so, there will be a charge of $50 for each Tank.

Do I have to return the motorhome with a full gas tank?
You need to return the motorhome with the same level of gasoline that it had  when you picked it up. If not, there will be an additional charge.

Are there rollout awnings on the motorhome?
No. rollout awnings are not allowed to use by renters.
We suggest you bring a canopy if you need shade or check with the RV park  if you are staying in one.

Are pets allowed in the motorhomes?
Pets are not allowed. Violation will cause charge up to a cleaning fee $500.

Is smoking allowed in your RV's?
There is no smoking allowed in any of our vehicles. There will be a  significant fine imposed if any evidence of cigarette smoking exists in the  motor home.

Is there a limit to how many people can ride in the motorhome?
Our motorhome maximum  8 people.
DreamLife Northwest recommends the following:
Never exceed the maximum capacity as posted in the actual vehicle you will  be using. Maximum capacity includes the vehicle, all fluids, all occupants and  their gear. All passengers should use the provided seatbelts. The total number of  seatbelts will vary according the vehicle and according to the floor plan of  the actual vehicle you are using. Child safety seats should be used where applicable. the installation and  use of these seats should follow the recommendation of the child seat  manufacturer. Overhead areas designed only for sleeping should not be occupied while the  vehicle is in motion. The vehicle should be properly secured prior to travel.  This includes locking the doors and dead-bolting them where applicable. Stow  the entry step and secure the outside compartments. We ask that you use good  judgment and prudence in your decisions. You Are Required To Comply With Applicable Law.

Are there facilities close to the Fleet Facility where we can purchase  supplies, propane and dispose of holding tank contents?
our staff at  Fleet storage will be glad to direct you to the closest  shopping center, fueling facilities and waste treatment center.

Can I park my car at your Fleet storage while we travel?
Parking at our storage  is very  limited. Call us in advance to see if we can accommodate you. If you are  allowed to park, it is at your risk entirely.

Can we leave our luggage at the Fleet storage location?
Are we allowed to travel into Canada (or vice versa)?
US registered RVs may enter Canada and return to the US without problem.  Canadian residents are not allowed to rent a US registered vehicle in the US  and enter Canada. Residency is based on the primary renter.

Are we allowed to travel into Mexico?
DreamLife Northwest does not allow travel into Mexico.
Can I tow my car or boat behind the motorhome?

Customer must declare intention to tow prior to departure and  warrant that towing weight is within 2,500 lb. tow weight restrictions. fee apply. DreamLife  Northwest provides no collision or liability coverage for damage to the towed  object or for third- party injury inflicted by the towed object, under any  circumstances.
Is it possible to travel in the winter in the colder areas?
Yes, however, in locations with harsh winter weather, You will need to  exercise extreme care while traveling in a “de-winterized” motorhome during  frigid weather. You will need to run the heater at all times to protect the  tanks and pipes from freeze damage, or in extreme cases you would need to put  RV Anti-Freeze in the water and holding tanks (by doing so, you may not use any  water systems). If the pipes or tanks were damaged from freezing, it is  considered negligent damage and you will be responsible for the full cost of  all repairs.

Are there any places we cannot take the motorhome?
Yes. Coverage’s are invalid if problems occur in the following areas and  all recovery expenses are at the renter’s own cost. Violations of these  restrictions void damage waivers and the renter will be held liable for all  vehicle damages including to tires, towing charges and other related expenses  as a result of a breakdown associated with operating in these areas:
Alaska, Yukon and Northwest Territories, & Newfoundland
Travel on all public and/or numbered roads is permitted. Travel on  non-public roads, unpaved back roads, trails and the like – commonly called  logging roads or on any surface subjecting the vehicle to unreasonable damage  or road hazard is prohibited. We reserve the right to restrict travel,  dependent on current road conditions.
Death Valley
Vehicles may be operated with EXTREME CARE in Death Valley and other desert  areas during the months of July and August. In Summer, renters visit these  areas at their own risk and DreamLife Northwest will not be held responsible  for extraordinary vehicle recovery and other charges. During certain periods  these areas are not habitable and could pose a danger to the driver and  passengers.
Due to restrictions on vehicle heights, propane gas and parking, vehicles  with propane are not permitted in Manhattan and are not permitted to travel  through any underground or underwater tunnels.

Do you have baby car seats and cribs available?
No. Please plan to bring your own car seats and/or cribs.

Is it safe to drink the water from the motorhome tank?
No, we do not recommend this. It is difficult to know if the water is  potable when you fill the tank at a variety of locations. We recommend you use  bottled water for drinking and cooking. The water from the tank is fine for  washing and bathing.

What if the motorhome breaks down?
DreamLife Northwest provides a 24/7 road assistance line to help you.

Is there a ladder so we can get on the roof to watch the race?
No ! We do not allow renters get on to the roof on the RV for safety reasons and  to prevent damage to the motorhome.

Are there bike racks?
Yes, Check availability at the time of reservation with us.
Are there levelers provided?

Can you pick me up/drop me off at the airport?
You must arrange your own transportation to and from the airport. You may  call us for recommendations of transit options.

How can I learn to operate the components on the motorhome?
DreamLife Northwest will provide  Orientation  tour  which is required to acquaint the  customer and drivers with the operation of the vehicle before departure.

What happens if the vehicle I reserved is unavailable?
Every precaution will be taken to ensure that the booked equipment is available in a fully serviceable condition but if owing to conditions and circumstances beyond the reasonable control of the DreamLife northwest, this is not possible, then every effort will be made to supply a similar or suitable equipment. Should this not be possible the deposit paid and any hire fee paid by the customer will be returned in full but the customer will have no claim on any account against the  DreamLife northwest.

Can I store items on the outside of the motorhome?
Storing items on vehicle roof or exteriors is not permitted.

Is the customer responsible for any maintenance of the motorhome?
The customer is responsible for checking tires pressure, engine oil, fluids, and coolant  levels at each refueling, as well as reporting mechanical failures immediately.   Customers may be held responsible for mechanical damage due to  negligence in vehicle operation or failure to provide normal maintenance.

Can I get a copy of the rental contract in advance of my rental?
Rental prices, policies and conditions are subject to change without  notice. Rentals are subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Rental Contract,  a copy of which is available on our website.

How much does it cost to stay in campgrounds?
Campground rates vary based on time of year and what facilities they offer.  Generally you can expect to pay between $10 and $50 per night.

What kind of facilities might a campground offer?
A partial list of commonly found facilities would include: electric, cable TV, water,  sewer hook-ups, washer, dryer, swimming pool, playground, BBQ pits, on-site  convenience store.

Who do I contact if I've lost a personal item(s) during a DreamLife  Northwest rental?
DreamLife Northwest will make a reasonable effort to contact guests after  departure if they have left any belongings on the premises or in the vehicle.  We will ship items back at owner's expense. If we are unable to reach the  guest(s), the items will be placed in our Lost & Found. Any items that  remain in the Lost & Found will be donated to charity or discarded after 90  days. To inquire about a lost item, please contact us.

How do I send my sponsorship proposal to DreamLife Northwest ?
DreamLife Northwest does not traditionally support sponsorships. For  information on community relations opportunities within the Portland area,  please email your request to the DreamLife Northwest Marketing department at info@DreamLifenorthwest.com.


Please call us on phone 503-252-9282

for assistace or send your booking request from our website

Payment can be made online or by phone